The story of Blanc (probably a corruption of blan, meaning 'little hill') begins around the end of the first millenium, with the construction of a castle to protect the routes between the coastal and inland settlements.
Blanc originally owed its allegiance to the lords of Albi, Beziers and Carcassone - the celebrated Trencavels, who resisted the power of the northern French kings until defeated during the crusades of the 13th century. The village subsequently came under the protection first of the Knights Hospitaller of St John, then a succession of local seigneurs.
By 1868 Blanc had a population of over 150, supported mainly by sheep farming and trade with the nearby Herault. The wars of the 20th century and subsequent urban drift effectively destroyed the village, and during the 1960s it was abandoned. But more recent arrivals have settled here, drawn by its beauty. Together with longtime residents, they formed
the association Blanc: sauvegarde, réhabilitation to support and promote the local community, and so the story of Blanc continues.